Delicious breakfast recipe made with simple ingredients , it has an amazing crunchiness from the oats topping and walnuts , and lot of flavor and juiciness from the filling.
The filling is perfect. The apples are generously coated with coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg , lemon juice and sea salt.
The topping has plenty of texture from the oats, chopped walnuts and the shredded coconut.
This is truly the best apple crumble I’ve done so far ! the addition of lemon juice and sea salt made a huge difference.
Ingredients (for 5 to 6 servings)
For the filling
– 6 apples peeled , cored and sliced
– 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
– 1.5 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
– 1/2 tbsp arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp nutmeg
– 1/4 tsp sea salt
– 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
For the Topping
– 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats (or regular )
– 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
– 1/3 cup gluten-free flour (or regular flour)
– 1/3 raw cane sugar (or coconut sugar)
– 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
– 2 tbsp shredded coconut
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp baking powder
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and grease an 8*8 baking dish.
2) To make the filling, combine the apples, coconut sugar, chia seeds, arrowroot starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
3) To make the topping, combine the oats, coconut oil, flour, sugar, walnuts, coconut , vanilla, baking powder and cinnamon. Mix well (using your hand works the best).
4) Put the apple mix into the prepared baking dish then sprinkle the topping.
5) Cover the dish with foil , then poke several holes in the foil to allow the steam to escape.
6) Bake for 40 min. Remove the foil and shake a bit with a spoon then return to the oven for another 10 min.
7) Allow the crumble to cool before serving. It’s served best with ice cream (I made banana nice cream).
let me know when you try it !
2 Comments Add yours
Yum Yum! Craving for it now!