Light and fluffy vegan apple cake packed with fresh apple flavor and topped with cinnamon sugar.
The hardest part of making this cake was peeling and chopping the apples, besides that, it’s so easy , you will be amazed !
This cake has the perfect mix of flavors ; cinnamon and nutmeg. The addition of the walnuts makes it crunchy and the cinnamon sugar topping creates a delicious caramelized crust.
Ingredients (for 8 to 10 servings )
For the apple cake ;
– 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
– 3 tsp baking powder
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp nutmeg
– 1 cup coconut sugar
– 1 cup Buttermilk (1 cup almond or soy milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice)
– 1/3 cup canola oil (or coconut oil)
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
– 2 tbsp Applesauce
– 3 peeled and chopped apples
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
For the cinnamon sugar
– 1/2 cup coconut sugar
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– 1 tsp cinnamon
1) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and spray an 8*8 inch cake pan with non sticky spray.
2) Prepare the vegan buttermilk ; add one tbsp lemon juice to 1 cup almond or soy milk and leave it for few minutes to curdle.
3) In the meantime, add in a bowl the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and mix.
4) Add the wet ingredients ; oil , vanilla , apple cider vinegar and sugar to the vegan buttermilk. Mix properly until well combined.
5) Add the flour mix to the wet ingredients and combine then add the chopped apples and walnuts. The batter will be thick.
6) Transfer to your prepared cake pan .
7) Prepare the cinnamon sugar topping ; Mix the coconut sugar, coconut oil and cinnamon then sprinkle on top of the cake batter.
8) Bake for 40 to 45 minutes . To check if it’s done, insert a toothpick or fork in the middle of the cake , if it comes out clean it means it’s ready.
Leave a comment when you try it ! Enjoy xxx
Note : You can keep this cake at room temperature for 2 days, in the fridge for 4 days or freeze it.