Those date squares are a simple mix of oats, flour, coconut sugar, dates, coconut oil and lemon flavored with cinnamon and sea salt . They’re really delicious!
This recipe makes around 10 date squares .
Ingredients for the filling
– 2 cups Medjool dates , pitted and chopped
– 1/4 cup coconut sugar or date sugar
– Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
– 1 cup water
– 4 tbsp lemon juice
– 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
Ingredients for the Crumble base and topping
– 1 1/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats or you can use oat flour.
– 1 cup + 3 tbsp all purpose flour
– 1/2 cup cane sugar (you can use coconut sugar)
– 1/2 cup coconut oil
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1/3 cup additional coconut oil or vegetable oil (you will not use it all)
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a 8 *8 baking dish with parchment paper.
2) To make the filling, combine the dates, sugar, lemon zest and juice, sea salt and water in a large saucepan.
3) Bring to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes , or until a paste forms. Set aside to cool.
4) To make the crumble base and topping, use an electric hand mixer, combine the oats (in this recipe i used oat flour) , flour, sugar, coconut oil , vanilla, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
5) If you feel it’s not sticking , add a tbsp of vegetable oil , you wont need the 1/3 cup but add as much as u need to have a sticky dough. if its crumbly , that’s totally fine, this is how it should be.
6) Press half the crumble base into the prepared baking dish.
7) Spread the cooled date filling over the base then
sprinkle the remaining crumble mixture.
8) Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool in the dish , then cut into
9) Keep it in the fridge, it’s best served when its cold.