This quiche with the decadent pie crust and veggies was a winner today at lunch! The traditional quiche is made with a lot of eggs, but this one is completely egg-free and it doesn’t have any corn starch as a binder neither tofu , so it’s also soy-free.
I used spinach and celery as veggies but you can add more if you like, i think mushrooms would be really delicious too. Feel free to experiment.
The secret ingredient in this quiche is the chickpea (or gram) flour , so make sure not to substitute it with another ingredient.
recipe adapted from @elavegan
The ingredients that you will need for approximately 6 – 7 portions
Pie Crust :
– 1 cup gluten free flour (or regular flour)
– 1/2 cup almond flour
– 4 tbsp vegan butter (or regular butter for non vegan version)
– 1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 3 tbsp warm water)
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/4 cup cold water
– 1 cup chickpea flour
– 1 cup plant based milk (i used almond milk)
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 1 tsp onion power, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, pinch of turmeric and 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
– 1 pack frozen spinach (needs to be defrosted)
– 2 celery sticks
– 1/2 onion chopped
– 2 garlic cloves
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– Cherry tomato
– Salt to taste
1) Start by preparing the crust. ; Make the flax egg by combining 1 tbsp flax seeds with 3 tbsp water then whisk and leave on the side for 5 minutes
2) Put all the pie crust ingredients except water in a food processor and blend. If you don’t have food processor, you can knead the dough with your hand. Add the water 2 tbsp at a time, until you get a dough that can be rolled and not too dry.
3) Wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 30 min.
4) After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the fridge, roll it out to fit a rectangular tart pan or 8 inch round pie pan. If it’s not rolling easily, just press it with your fingers then make small holes using a fork . Put it back in the fridge and start preparing the filling.
.5) Veggies ; Heat the vegetable or olive oil in a frying pan then add the garlic and onion. Saute until brown then add the spinach and chopped celery . Saute the veggies until the water evaporates.
6) Prepare the Chickpea batter ; In a bowl, mix the chickpea flour , the almond milk, and the spice mix mentioned in the ingredients list.
7) In a saucepan, heat the vegetable broth until it starts to boil then add slowly the chickpea flour mix to the vegetable broth while stirring.
8) Let simmer for 4-5 minutes while you continue to whisk frequently , it will get thick which is normal.
9) Time to assemble ; remove the pie crust from the fridge, add the veggies then the chickpea batter then add cherry tomatoes on top.
10) Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes at 200 degree C