The perfect treat to make alongside your favorite hot beverage. Crunchy, slightly tender on the inside, perfectly sweet, orange flavored. filled with almonds and half-dipped with dark chocolate.
It’s quite simple, requires only few ingredients and made with coconut oil, sweetened with unrefined sugar (you can also use coconut sugar or just normal white sugar) , I used unsweetened apple sauce and almond butter as a binding agent to substitute eggs.
Making biscotti is quite easy, it’s exactly like making a cookie dough but shaping it as a loaf then bake until slightly golden, after that cool and slice into small portions then bake again . That’s it ! once done, you can dip them in dark chocolate
If you try this recipe let me know, take a picture and share it with me … I’d love to see what you come up with. You can keep them up to 4 days in air tight container or freeze them up to a month.
Ingredients (for 16 biscottis )
– 2 Cups Gluten Free all purpose Flour (or normal all purpose flour )
– 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
– Zest of 1 Orange
– 1/3 Cup melted coconut oil
– 3/4 cup unrefined sugar (or sub for coconut sugar or white sugar)
– 1/2 Cup apple sauce unsweetened
– 2 tbsp almond butter
– 1 tsp Vanilla extract
– Almonds chunks
– Dark chocolate (for dipping)
1) Preheat Oven to 180 degrees , Prepare a tray with parchment-line baking sheet (or just grease the tray with non sticky oil )
2) Melt coconut oil in a large mixing bowl then add the sugar and whisk well to combine.
3) Add the apple sauce, vanilla and almond butter, continue whisking on medium / high speed until completely combined
4) Add Flour, baking powder and orange zest . Stir to combine but don’t overmix (I combine with my hands as the dough will be thick similar to cookie dough)
5) Add the almonds .
6) Divide the dough into 2 equal portions, place on the tray and parchment paper and shape as a loaf – rectangular form. Use a knife to cut the uneven borders .
7) Bake for 25 minutes approximately then take out, let it cool for 2 minutes, cut in slices carefully then flip on the other side and bake again for another 20 minutes
8) Take them out of the oven, let them cool before dipping them in melted dark chocolate . Place on parchment-line baking sheet to dry.