This cinnamon roll recipe can definitely beat other regular recipes. I didn’t make many changes, just made it without eggs, replaced the milk with plant based milk and the butter with vegan butter. They’re fluffy, soft, gooey and delicious.
It’s definitely not a low carb recipe, so let’s agree on that and set expectations… But how can you resist a hot-from-the-oven soft and fluffy homemade cinnamon roll with all it’s carb-filled glory. They’re still healthier than Cinnabon i would say … It makes me feel better at least to say that !
There are a few tricks to make the best cinnamon rolls
1) Make the dough very thin ; thinner dough is better because it will allow the dough to rise and also you will get more taste of the cinnamon and brown sugar inside (which is exactly why we love cinnamon rolls)
2) Roll them at tightly as you can ; it distributes the filling more evenly
3) Leave the dough at least 3 hours to rise and then after cutting into slices and putting it in the baking pan, leave again for another hour.
Regarding the glaze, there are multiple options that you can use. Either cream cheese frosting, some melted coconut butter or an easy glaze made with plant based milk. icing sugar, cinnamon and Vanilla. For this batch, I made them using the third glaze option.
Ingredients (to make around 12 rolls)
– 2 Cup Almond Milk at room temperature (or any other plant baked milk)
– 1/2 cup Vegan Butter melted
– 1/4 cup organic sugar or coconut sugar
– 1 packet active dry yeast
– 5 1/2 cups All purpose flour *
– 1 tsp salt
– 2 tsp cinnamon
– 3/4 cup vegan butter or coconut oil melted
– 3/4 cup brown sugar (coconut sugar may be used but i didn’t try it with it)
– 3 tbsp cinnamon
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
– 1/2 cup icing sugar
– 4 tbsp almond milk
– 1/2 tsp vanilla
– 1 tsp cinnamon
How to prepare it
1) Generously rub 2 round cake pan with vegan butter or non sticky oil (i used one 9 inch and one 6 inch)
2) In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, melted butter and sugar. The mixture should be warm.
3) Sprinkle the yeast evenly over the mixture and let it set for 2 minutes
4) Add 5 cups flour and 1 tsp salt to the milk mixture and mix first with a wooden spoon, you can use bread mixer if it’s easier.
5) Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and set in warm place to rise for at least 3 hours.
6) Preheat oven to 180 degree C
7) The dough should have doubled in size , remove the towel and add the remaining 1/2 cup flour and stir well.
8) Knead the dough lightly , adding additional flour as needed until the dough doesn’t stick to the surface anymore.
9) Roll the dough into a large rectangle about 1 cm thick , fix corners to make sure they are sharp and even.
10) Spread the vegan butter evenly on the rectangular dough, then the brown sugar, walnuts and then the cinnamon.
11) Roll up the dough tightly , forming a log.
12) Cut the log into even slices.
13) places the slices into the cake pans , let them be close to each other . then cover and let it rest for 1 hour.
14) Bake the rolls at 180 degrees C for 25 to 30 min
15) Prepare the frosting by mixing the frosting ingredients then spread on the cinnamon rolls once they are baked.
** I used Gluten free all purpose flour, Bobs Red Mill , One to One . you can also use regular all purpose flour.