I tried to make this recipe by omitting the butter and using vegan mozzarella cheese and it worked ! You can’t even feel the difference. This recipe is made with 8 ingredients only and just needs 30 minutes to be ready.
I used with this recipe asparagus, green bell pepper and corn but go with whatever is available and you like. I also made it with regular basmati rice , it’s preferable to make it with arborio rice but basmati rice works fine.
Few things to keep in mind while doing this risotto ;
– Always use warm vegetable broth
– Stir frequently to avoid the rice sticking
– Cook the rice at a simmer and do not boil
– Cook until just “al dente” to avoid gummy risotto
Ingredients (for 3 servings)
– 3 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth
– 2 Tbsp Oil
– 1 bundle asparagus
– 1 medium green or red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
– 3/4 cup corn
– 1 cup Arborio or Basmati rice
– 1/4 mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (i used vegan cheese but you can use regular one)
– Fresh parsley for serving at the end
– Salt and Pepper to taste
1) In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable broth over medium heat. Once simmering, reduce heat to low to keep warm.
2) In the meantime, heat a large pan over medium heat . Put one tbsp oil and the asparagus, corn and bell pepper. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir until tender for 3-4 min then set on the side.
3) In the same pan (but without the vegetables) , put the second tbsp oil and then 1 cup rice (rinsed) and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Then add 1/2 cup vegetable broth and continuing stirring. Cook for 2 min until the liquid is absorbed.
4) Continue by adding the vegetable broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, giving the risotto little breaks just to simmer . you want the mixture to be cooking but not boiling.
5) Add the vegetables and stir until the liquid is absorbed but not completely. the rice should be “Al Dente” – cooked through but not mushy.
6) Remove from heat and add salt and pepper , the parsley and the cheese